Monday, March 31, 2008

Why AOTA certification?

AOTA Board & Specialty Certification provide a framework for professional development that is specifically geared to the profession of occupational therapy.

For example, I am an occupational therapist Board Certified in mental health (BCMH). My signature looks like this: Christine Urish, PhD, OTR/L, BCMH.

I could have pursued certified psychiatric rehabilitation practitioner (CPRP) certification, which is administered by United States Psychiatric Rehabilitation Association (USPRA). This is a certification related to psychiatric rehabilitation, and I value this certification; however, it is not unique to occupational therapy. My AOTA Board & Specialty Certification is unique to occupational therapy, and my employer recognizes my advanced knowledge and skills and the expertise which was required to obtain this certification.

I've heard of a couple of therapists who were successful in obtaining increased salaries as a result of obtaining Board and Specialty Certifications here in Iowa.

The process of Board & Specialty Certification is built upon the Standards of Continuing Competence, an AOTA Official Document developed by CCCPD. It is important that I emphasize that obtaining Board or Specialty Certification is a process, something that takes time. Recently in an article in the AOTA MHSIS Quarterly (page 2), Victoria Schindler chronicled her process in the development of her Board Certification application for mental health.

Take a minute and review Victoria's article. I'm certain you will find her review of the process helpful and encouraging. Then I encourage you to establish a personal goal for when you will begin your application!

Hope to see you at AOTA Conference and come back to visit this blog often!

Christine Urish, PhD, OTR/L, BCMH

No comments: