Monday, May 5, 2008

The Employment Verification Form

How do I track my hours for verification?

It is up to you how you would like to track the specifics of your service delivery. We ask only for the employment verification form to be submitted, so you just need to be sure that whoever is verifying the information feels comfortable and ethical with whatever tracking system you use.

Keep in mind that if you work in a setting in which you have a diverse caseload and you are applying for specialty certification, you may need a more discreet tracking system. For example, if I see a variety of diagnoses for phys rehab and am applying for Board Certification in Physical Rehabilitation, my total hours worked is going to be fine. However, if I am applying for Specialty Certification in Low Vision, I need to be able to count only those hours with clients whose intervention included low vision as part of my service delivery hours for part B of the Employment Verification Form.

I’m Self-Employed, who can sign my Employment Verification Form?

Because private practice takes on many different forms, there are varying ways in which employment verification may be handled. Examples of who might verify the form include:


  • an administrator for a company/organization that contracted with the private practitioner for services
  • the referral source
  • a business partner or co-owner
  • the accountant for the practice

You may include multiple verification forms if that is what is needed. If none of the options listed above fit your situation and you have an alternative source for verification that you would like to use, you may forward that information for review and approval to prodev@aota.org prior to submitting an application.

What do I do if my former place of employment has closed or been sold?

In the case a business has been sold, you may still be able to get verification from the new owners since they are required to maintain records for a period of time. If you are able to contact a supervisor from a previous employer, you may use that person as well.

What do I do if my former supervisor no longer works at the institution from which I am trying to obtain employment verification?

Typically institutions will have employment records and another individual can verify the hours worked. Consult the human resources department of the agency/institution.


Until next time, keep working on collecting your evidence and moving forward on your application!

Living Life To Its Fullest!

Christine Urish, PhD, OTR/L, BCMH &
Maria Elena E. Louch, Professional Development Program Manager


No comments: